I try not to eat a lot of beef on the HCG diet, but when I do, I choose lean cuts, like flank steak and beef tenderloin. I was amazed to find that I could make caramelized onions without oil. In this recipe I used flank steak, which, if cooked properly, is very tender and flavorful. If you have to have your steak well done–flank steak wouldn’t be a good choice. It’s best served medium, to an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
My personal chef clients always ask me to make them steak. I couldn’t figure out why since steak is so easy to make yourself. Finally, I asked one client and they said, “It’s the seasoning!” My “super secret steak seasoning” Tex Joy Steak Seasoning. This weekend I was in my hometown of Beaumont in Southeast Texas so I stocked up on TexJoy Seasonings, because it can be hard to find here in Austin.
Tip: Make a big batch of caramelized onions. They can be frozen in a ziploc bag and used whenever you like.
hcg diet recipes – phase 2
- 12 oz flank steak
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil (500 degrees F).
- Season steak with salt and pepper or Steak Seasoning.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until smoking hot. Sear steak, 2 minutes on each side. Remove steak from skillet and place on an oven safe baking sheet. Broil steak to desired doneness.
- Deglaze skillet with 1 tbsp water.
- Add onions and turn heat down to medium. Cook onions, stirring every couple of minutes, until they are golden brown, adding a tablespoon of water each time they start to dry out.
- Top steak with onions and serve.